Tuesday 10 January 2012

I said 'You've got to be jokin' man': Caribbean Style Bean Salad with a Jerk dressing


I'm gonna tell you a story and, guess what, it's true. In 2011 Claire and I hosted a Eurovision party (of sorts), as is customary in  these parts, and one of our friends informed us they were the cousin of the chief songwriter in the band '10cc'. This was pretty exciting to know as it possibly trumps being the nephew of the drummer in Space or the cousin of Ray Wilkins (genuine entrants) in the unofficial 'obscure but famous relatives' competition I've just made up.

Rules- Points for obscurity, but entrants must also be associated with something famous enough that most folk will go 'Ahh' when it is explained who it is. Example: Being the Pope's sister would score poorly, being Jas Mann's cousin would score pretty well, but being the nephew of Hugo Myatt would be a premier performance. Entries on a postcard, or a comment I suppose.

I used to watch Knightmare with my Grandad
Ahem, that's enough making up of games for the time being. Right, I've made a New Year's resolution to blog at least once every two weeks so here we go. Last year I got a bit obsessed with jerk marinade. I spent many an evening playing in the kitchen, trying to perfect my own version of the Jamaican classic, to the point I think Claire got a bit sick of eating jerked meats (pork works well too) and rice and peas. I've never been to the Caribbean but apparently there's a million different recipes for jerk (some are closely guarded family secrets!) and I fancied making my own. Through this process I got used to tasting many uncooked marinades, which taste very different to the final version, and that's when I decided to find a way to have those flavours when I can't be bothered to marinade and cook meat. This was when the idea for a jerk salad dressing was born! It needs to be different to your standard jerk marinade and I think it works really well with a robust bean salad. It's pretty easy to make, is healthy, and certainly packs a punch! Recipe at the end of this post...

Before you stop reading (let's face it not many of you read the actual recipes on this thing) a word of warning. I'm going to do a very dull and self indulgent blog over the next few days on kitchen equipment. Sorry. Ha ha.

Caribbean Style Bean Salad with a Jerk dressing


Some ingredients
Serves about 4 as a healthy main (more as a side)

Jerk salad dressing


Large thumb sized piece of ginger (washed but not peeled)
3-6 fresh chillis (deseeded, be cautious if using scotch bonnets)
Allspice (preferably 5-6 allspice berries (aka pimento) ground in a pestle and mortar, but a heaped tbsp ground allspice will suffice)
Thyme (preferably2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves but, dried will suffice)
3 spring onions chopped roughly
1/2 small white onion (optional- can't decided whether better without)
4 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
Juice of 3 limes
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
teaspoon of honey
1 tsp brown sugar (or equivalent amount of artificial sweetener as I used)
pinch of salt and pepper

Salad ingredients


2 small red onions (or one large) finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finelly chopped
200g sweetcorn (frozen and defrosted, canned, or fresh)
25 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can other beans (I used gungo peas), rinsed and drained
Corinader leaves (or cilantro as our American cousins call it) to garnish
2 spring onions, finely sliced

Allspice/pimento berries
Method


1. This is well easy. Prepare all your dressing ingredients and whack in a food processor and blitz the life out of kit. Taste. It should be tangy, spicy and with significant heat. Add an extra chilli if you don't think it's hot enough. You may need to add more allspice and/or thyme depending upon the freshness of the ingredients used. Add a little more vinegear or lime juice if the dressing is too thick, a word of caution though- this is meant to be a chunkier dressing than your average vinegarette so don't thin it out too much. Once you're happy with the flavour set your dressing aside in a bowl.

Should look a little like this


2. Prepare all your salad ingredients in a vessel large enough that you can mix easily without making a mess (I used a massive pan).

I told you the pan was massive
3. Mix in the dressing well. Transfer to a more presentable dish and garnish with coriander.

Serving suggestion: We ate it tonight with some grilled chicken in a pitta. Nom!


6 comments:

  1. Good stuff Iain.

    My mom used to used fresh Nutmeg pods (grated) and a little Cayenne pepper too (although I think that may be an Island specific thing.)

    All the best

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm looks yummy. May have to try without the sweetcorn as Nige objects to the yellow stuff although I love it.

    Think I probably share a similar celebrity tenuous link to you... Mark Knopfler being at our school - albeit 25 years before us.

    Looking forward to the blog about kitchen equipment! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin, next time you and Lesley visit we'll have jerk chicken and you can give me some expert tips! The marinade we make is a bit different to this, what with not being a dressing. Congratulations on the engagement by the way!

    Mary, I'm sure you can convert Nigel to sweetcorn. We'll come up with a gameplan next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All looks very edible Iain,

    ReplyDelete
  5. In order to carry on and show our support. So
    use the term 'Student Loans People companies' I'm not referring to companies that are successful in their MLM businesses. And all the hard work of many days in design and construction that went on the old antique pocket watches of yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this please let me know -comments are welcomed and in fact encouraged!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...